Monday, September 9, 2013

Whistler

Since I have blogged about a number of countries in the world I thought I it would be nice to blog about places where I live (full time). I was presented with the perfect opportunity to do this as I toured around my cousin on his two week vacation from England.

Nick went whale watching, took a bike ride on the galloping goose and went zip lining in Sooke. We also went kayaking in Todd Inlet in Brentwood Bay, visited Sooke potholes, French and China Beaches as well as a trip to Butchart gardens for the fireworks (he seemed to like the fireworks , but not sure the flowers impressed him). Not to mention the numerous dinners with my friends and Nick even got to cruise around with Ron Brown in his 1970 Mach One - a guy thing! One thing he is sorry about is turning down the opportunity to go fishing with Aaron - perhaps next visit!

Then it was off to Whistler for a few days (I have not been there since the late 90's). We rented a lovely two bedroom condo in the Upper Village - the condo was fabulous and extremely reasonable compared to staying in a hotel.

Sights on the Sea to Sky highway:Shannon Falls

 

Sights around Whistler- the village and surroundings have certainly changed since I was here last - really a world class resort!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Peak to Peak - an addition since my last visit to whistler. The Peak 2 Peak Gondola is a tri-cable gondola lift that links Whistler Mountain's Roundhouse Lodge with Blackcomb Mountain's Rendezvous Restaurant. It is the first lift to join the two side-by-side mountains. It holds world records for the longest free span between ropeway towers—3.03 kilometres (1.88 miles) and highest point above the ground—436 metres (1,430 feet.). The Peak 2 Peak Gondola was built by the Doppelmayr Garaventa Group in 2007 and 2008 at a cost of CDN$51 million. The Peak 2 Peak Gondola is the first Doppelmayr "3S" tri-cable lift system in North America. Whistler-Blackcomb has touted the gondola as an iconic attraction and uses it to transport skiers in the winter months as well as sightseers year round.

If you visit whistler this is a must do - warning wear comfy shoes as there are plenty of hiking trails.


Top of whistler mountain


No snow just glacier ice!


Nick enjoying the whistler express chair lift




Nick on top of the world!


Me holding on to the whistler express chair lift !



Me trying out a new sport!
 


Views while crossing the Peak to Peak
View through the glass bottom gondola!
 
 
I am thinking of applying for a job - snowmobile bunny!
 
 
Looking backwards from the gondola


Next it was off to bike riding to Green Lake





Saturday was whitewater rafting the Elaho River near Squamish!

Getting ready to go - no heels!
 


I am in this boat 3rd person back on right hand side
 
 
 
 
Still in the raft!
 
 
 

Don't wait until you have visitors before appreciating where we live - it truly is Beautiful British Columbia with endless outdoor opportunities go and discover now! I was pretty proud of where i live and my cousin Nick was very impressed with this part of Canada - I think he will be back.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment