Friday, January 6, 2012

January 6th

Today started by having coffee with my dad's cousin's (80 year old George and 77 year old Julie) this was the first time I have met them. George and Julie immigrated from the UK to Perth in 1966 with 80pounds in their pocket and 7 children. They now have 30 grandchildren and 22 great grandchildren all living in the Perth area. Funny how family connects very quickly and it wasn't long before we were chatting about different family members and I found out a few family secrets that I did not know about. Those of you who heard the story at Christopher Causton's farewell about my mother and auntie working at Causton printers in the UK-- well I was telling George and Julie the story and asked if they remembered Causton printers in Southampton -- Julie informed me her father worked there from 1939 until he retired.

The Steve Irwin ship (similar to Greenpeace) was docked today at Fremantle while they loaded supplies and new volunteers to continue on their voyage to discourage whalers.

This afternoon we drove south along the coast line of Western Australia. I don't think the picture does the color of the water justice as it is a beautiful turquoise color.
This evening we went for dinner at a pub and ate dinner while listening to a jazz quartet. Eating out in Perth is very expensive as an average main course in a pub is $25 and up. A cocktail costs $15!!!!!

Tonight we went on the Fremantle Prison torchlight tour. The prison was built by convicts in the 1850's and was used continually as a place of incarceration and punishment for almost 140 years decommissioned in 1991. The prison housed men, women and children (youngest child was 8 years old for stealing one schilling) - over 40 people were hung in the gallows. As we entered the prison we were given a small torch to light our way on the tour as we made our way through the prison -- I was selected to be put into the solitary confinement cell and I definitely was not wearing prison issued shoes! But I did meet a friend there and we were able to document the occasion with a picture. Fortunately they took pity on me and I was given early release for good behaviour or maybe it was for being best dressed prisoner!



No comments:

Post a Comment